Tagline

Tagline

Monday 16 January 2012

[Ellie's Blog] The Perfect Benny: Arms Reach Bistro

As a tribute to the new year, the humble beginning of my blog, and the possibilities that lie ahead, I’ve decided that the first post will be about something that symbolizes fresh starts and new beginnings: breakfast!

The fact is, I love brunch. Not only is the timing ideal, allowing me to enjoy my weekend sleep-ins, but the variety is huge! From country-style to fine dining, whatever tickles my fancy that morning only tastes better with eggs & carbs. 

Despite the variety, I inevitably find myself ordering the classic brunch dish, eggs benedict, over and over. Perhaps I am a creature of habit, but the soft, runny poached eggs over a variety of toppings (which typically involves a protein or two to appease my inner carnivore) and toasted English muffin, smothered with Hollandaise sauce (which every place makes a different self-proclaimed perfect version of) calls to me like cascades of harp music. Heaven!

To start off The Perfect Benny, a series chronicling my search for, well, the perfect Benny, I caught up with a girlfriend over brunch last weekend at Arms Reach Bistro, situated in quaint, little Deep Cove in North Vancouver.


The atmosphere is classy and grown-up, quiet enough to have long, private conversations over coffee. Try and get a window seat, the view is very “North Shore”.


I had their Timo’s Benedict, with onions and smoked salmon, served with hashbrowns. I enjoyed the crisp crunch of the onions, but didn’t get the full smoked salmon flavour I was so looking forward to. Some bites I forgot it was there! However, the day was saved by the wonderful Hollandaise sauce; creamy with no graininess whatsoever, and a subtext of…something nutty. I couldn’t put my finger on what the secret ingredient was, but it made the sauce delicious.


If you go, I’d suggest leaving some extra time afterwards to walk around the area as you digest. The view from the pier is beautiful and there are little shops where you may stumble upon treasures.


Although I wouldn’t necessarily make the trek to Arm’s Reach Bistro for the food alone, the whole Deep Cove package (and the delicious Hollandaise sauce!) makes for a great lazy Sunday, so the itinerary is one I would repeat and recommend to friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment