Tagline

Tagline

Monday 21 May 2012

[Ellie's Blog] Soirette Maracons and Tea

Last weekend, I happened to be in Holt Renfrew (only because I am a sometimes-believer of its therapeutic abilities, and boy, did I need the therapy last weekend!), and ran into (figuratively) a macaron and tea stand setup by Soirette. I had heard of the name while researching macarons in Vancouver, but never visited the store, so this was pretty much fate in my mind. And don't get me wrong, I would never consider myself a macaron connoisseur, nor would I consider the macaron my favourite dessert by any means, but they are cute, tasty and have great texture. Plus, they are very much the "it" treat right now...as a matter of fact, one of the pictures up on Sephora's website features a girl holding a green macaron (my, however did I know that off the top of my head??).

Anyhow, I (somewhat sarcastically) digress. The point being, I could not pass up the chance to try some macarons when I saw the stand. Here is what I purchased:

Chocolat Chocolat, Raspberry, Caramel Fleur de Sel, Passion Fruit, Malibu, & Rocher


The macarons were small enough to finish in 2 bites, 3 if you're delicate. I prefer this size so I can get a good sense of the taste but still want to move on to the next...and the next...and the next. There are 16 permanent flavours to choose from, including all of your classics such as chocolate, vanilla, pistachio and lemon, plus seasonal specials. They are sold individually or in boxes of 6 or 12.

Given my limited experience with the treat, I certainly enjoyed these, but wasn't necessarily blown away by all the flavours. However, I really enjoyed how distinct the flavours - even if you couldn't blind-guess the flavour, you could definitely identify them in the narrowed scope of 6 possibilities. I previously really enjoyed Thierry's macarons, but found them undistinguishable from each other in comparison to Soirette's. Expect the treats to be sweet, but just shy of overly sweet.

Flavour picks will depend on one's preference, but my favourites were Rocher & Caramel Fleur de Sel. I will definitely return to try more flavours (the HR stand didn't carry seasonal offerings), but I'm not in a rush to do so, either. Maybe if the chocolate one was actually covered in chocolate...


No comments:

Post a Comment